Company History

Hobbs Bros. Ltd. was founded in the 1890’s and has always been owned by the Hobbs Family

The company’s strength and sustainability derive from its impressive heritage combined with a professional, forward-thinking approach. We have continued trading successfully in Gloucester while others have failed and, where there were at least six other oil businesses in the Hempsted area, now there is only Hobbs Bros; the only family owned oil business in the whole of Gloucestershire.

The Hobbs Bros. Ltd. Timeline

Late 1890’s

The business is established by Clement Wilkes Hobbs and his wife Polly. They live at The Crown Public House in Paganhill, Stroud. Clement buys paraffin from C.T. Browning of London, which is brought down to Stroud in wooden barrels by train. The paraffin is collected by pony and trap to make house to house deliveries.

1921

Allen Hobbs, Clement and Polly’s son, takes over the business and purchases his first motor vehicle: an overland van with a tank inside. Their other son, Morton, joins the company having been invalided out of the Army following the First World War. Both sons marry and live in Cashes Green, renting a field nearby from which to run the business.

1956

The Hobbs brothers rent land at Stonehouse Railway Station, applying for a licence and planning permission to have the fuel delivered there. Sometime after, they purchase land at the Wharf, Stonehouse, for £1,100. They build a depot and run the business from the Wharf with product being supplied by the Regent Oil Company. By now, grandsons Ken and Alan have joined the company.

1960’s

The land is compulsory purchased and the company moves to the site in Hempsted, Gloucester. Brian joins the company and Alan leaves to open Hobbs of Ledbury, a shop selling, amongst other things, paraffin heaters. The company is run for a number of years by Ken & Brian.

1977

Mark joins the company.

1986

David joins the company.

1988

Ken retires and Mark becomes a Director.

1998

Brian retires and Mark and David continue the family business.

2008

David leaves the company.

2014

The business moves to a new purpose built depot on Spinnaker Road, Hempsted

 

Mark has run Hobbs Bros. Ltd. ever since, with help from wife Amanda, sister Jane and step-son Christopher.

Tel. 01452 302191

Contact Us

Opening Hours:

Mon to Fri: 8am to 5pm
Sat: 8am to 11am

sales@hobbsbros.co.uk
lubs@hobbsbros.co.uk
accounts@hobbsbros.co.uk

Fax Number:

01452 300552